Phone call (just one dance)

It was nearly traumatic. This awaiting.

Even though she had the time zone differenc between them in mind, very absurdly she had started waiting for that "oh so important" phone call from the early evening hours.

That little ray of hope in the depth of her heart would tell her, she had to wait,he would be calling anytime.

It was quite late now, she had a test the next morning and certainly she wasn't studying. The clock struck midnight and then her hopes began to go down. She snuggled into her comforter , turned off her bedside lamp, which was the only source of light for that moment, and plugged onto her earphones to some FM radio channel. Lately she had been hearing much radio, specially the late night shows. some sad ghazals matching her recent mood.

And then when she was least expecting, her cell phone started ringing.

It was him.

"Hey amiga, sorry Im so late. just got back home"

"This late" she asked

"Its 20 past 8 here but must be terribly late for you, actually I thought I should not disturb you at this odd hour but then giving it a second thought, I wanted to keep my promise" he explained.

"I was waiting and if you didn't call, I would have waited all night long."

"How unfair. you should not compromise on your sleep for anyone amiga." His tone was like a big brother now and Mawra didn't like it much.

"How could I tell you I have become an insomniac since you have left" silently she whispered to her ownself.

"Have You had dinner?" she asked

"Just had it. Maria Jose wasn't home  today, but even when she is not around, she would store so much for me in the fridge, I just have to reheat my meal."


"Maria Jose?" dang..... Mawra Suhail thought she was  Helen?

"Didn't I tell you about Maria? she is just like a mother to me, my only family member so far. She had taken care of me since my birth and specially when my mom left."

And after a short awkward moment of silence, he contniued.

"How are your studies Mawra? getting good grades?" he was always concerned about her studies just like her dad. of course she could not tell him how her studies were being effected.

"They are fine and usual"

"Hows Suhail? could not talk to him this week, was extremely busy"

"Are You in touch with baba on frequent basis?"

"Yes mi querida. He is just like my elder brother, my only sourse for a family connection but above all he is really a good friend." she could hear him smiling.

"After all he is my father" teasingly she said

"oh yes you can take all the credit senorina" he laughed.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping now Mawra, too late for kids to be up"

"I am not a kid please correct yourself" she got irked.

"oh really, how old are you amiga, sweet sixteen?"  he asked smilingly

"I turned 22 this july"

"wow , stunning, still that counts as a kid to me"

Mawra felt like throwing a pillow on his face.

"Ok. I think I should better take some sleep now"

And his laughter was unexpectedly higher.

"You are an emotinal angel senorina, I enjoy teasing you, but yes you should sleep now or You could not study in your class tomorrow morning"

And reluctantly she had to hang up. For she could not tell him, she had already become an insomniac and the reason was none but himself.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ڈر لگتا ہے

Forbidden